Did you know that outdoor bamboo roll up shades may offer an easy and affordable way to create a warm, rustic atmosphere in your exterior entertainment areas?
Like many of us you perhaps love the look and feel of wood, but need to find a less expensive option when it comes to outdoor shades for your open or screened porch, patio or deck. This is where bamboo comes in!
(ARTICLE CONTINUED BELOW)
Share this image on your site (simply copy and paste the code provided below the graphic!)
Many decorators choose bamboo these days, as it comes with an impressive list of benefits. I will list 9 of these for you just now. Cheap outdoor bamboo roll up shades can give you the texture, appearance and tropical vibe of real wood blinds, but at a fraction of the cost!
When choosing shades for outdoor use, you need to keep your local weather conditions in mind. Make sure that the quality of the blinds is such that the installation will not be damaged by the elements in the stormy seasons of the year.
Some brands of outdoor bamboo roll up blinds will have to be removed during the winter months, while others can be left in place. Luckily taking them down is easy and they don't take up too much storage space. Some ranges can only be installed if the patio or porch is screened. Check this carefully with your supplier when buying your blinds.
Outdoor Bamboo Roll Up Shades Or Blinds An Eco-Friendly Decor Choice
Do you care about the environment? Then you will love the fact that bamboo is an eco-friendly home remodeling option. More and more decorators are trying to make 'green' choices when recommending home decor and window treatments.
When you buy a bamboo blind, you can know that the plants used to create it, grow extremely fast. Bamboo can be harvested in as little as 3 to 5 years. Compare this to real wood coming from trees that have been growing for roughly 50 years! Doesn't this make bamboo a number one choice for you too? Also remember that these plants will grow again, making it a renewable resource.
9 Benefits Of Outdoor Bamboo Roll Up Shades For Your Porch, Patio Or Deck
- One of the prime benefits is the low cost. Bamboo blinds can be very cheap, compared to other options. Even if you prefer a more expensive window treatment, you can start out with bamboo while saving up for a more expensive product.
- Many bamboo shades are specifically made for outdoor use. In many cases you won't even need to worry about applying a weather-proofing varnish, for instance.
- They are excellent when it comes to light filtering and sun blocking. This characteristic can be further enhanced, by choosing outdoor bamboo roll up shades with a fabric backing. Here you can go for very light fabrics that still allow you to see out, or a blackout backing that will really block out light for total privacy.
- If you buy a quality product, these window coverings can be very durable.
- Maintenance is easy. They can simply be dusted when necessary, or wiped with a damp cloth from time to time.
- You can go the manual route if money is tight. But you can also choose a fully motorized blind that won't have you struggling with cords. If you have kids and want to keep safety in mind, make sure that you check out the motorized ranges.
- Installation is normally quite simple and you won't need a whole bunch of expensive tools to get the job done.
- Depending on the quality, your bamboo roll up blinds could also help with energy efficiency. You may find that the blinds help to keep heat in during the winter months, while keeping your home cooler in summer.
- Bamboo is great for creating a warm, earthy atmosphere on your patio or porch. It gives you the feel of real wood in your decor, without costing the earth. Colors can vary from a natural tan, to dark cocoa shades, reddish black or even green. Remember that lighter shades normally come into their own if your porch or patio furniture is on the dark side. If you have light-colored furniture, you may be better off opting for darker shades in your blinds.
What To Watch For When Buying Outdoor Bamboo Roll Up Shades
- Make sure you get a weather resistant header rail. This is often made of a treated tropical hardwood.
- The pulley mechanism should also be able to withstand the elements. Usually a combination of nylon plastic and/or brass will be best.
- You want really robust weatherproof pull cords. Again nylon may be a good choice.
- In addition, the binding thread should also be of a material that can withstand outdoor conditions.
Weather-Proofing Your Outdoor Bamboo Roll Up Blinds
If you are buying sun shades for a screened porch or patio, they will enjoy some protection. However, some brands will require you to seal your blinds with a water sealant or a polyurethane varnish. This will improve the level of weather resistance, making your shades more robust and durable.
You will need to repeat this process regularly, usually every two to three years. A light sanding is usually required before resealing the shades. Initially you may be able to choose to have the weatherproof coating applied during the manufacturing of your blinds. Alternatively you may select to do it yourself at home.
Another type of treatment that is crucial when it comes to bamboo, is a fungicide treatment. This is necessary to reduce the occurrence of mildew, a common problem when using these blinds outside. As your outdoor blinds will be exposed to direct sunlight, you can also expect them to fade over time.
You may also wish to consider matchstick bamboo roll up blinds. In this instance, the bamboo is cut into round sticks, before being woven together with thread. They are ideal if you are looking for a tropical ambience on your porch, deck or patio. They can offer a high level of privacy, as the sticks are woven together fairly tightly.
Popular bamboo shades include Deluxe Roman Bamboo Shades